Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Necessary Accessories


By: Ashley McHale
Shopping for clothing and accessories in Italy can be a little intimidating, considering Italians hold fashion in such high regard. Going with my preconceived notions of fashion I think it is smart to purchase a few staple pieces,interchangeable and affordable.

After arriving in Florence and seeing the sleek, flowing styles worn by the locals made me immediately want to go shopping and use their trends as my influence. I started small by picking up a belt in the leather market. Leather is worn by nearly every Italian I see, whether it be a belt, shoes or a bag. Genuine Italian leather is a common commodity in Florence but finding the right stand with a reasonable price is key.

I had been seeing statement belts warn on the high waist in a variety of colors. I loved how flattering they looked on the women I had seen and knew I needed one. I chose a neutral color so that it would match a few tops and dresses, that way I could get a lot of use out of it. It was only 10 euro and great quality.

Accessories are my favorite thing to shop for because you can wear some almost everyday, whereas your favorite dress or top can only be worn every so often. Keeping that in mind, I continued my quest for fine Italian accessories. I next purchased a black leather bag at a small shop down the street from the leather market. It has excellent quality and can be worn four different ways. It's a medium-large size and was 60 euro.


All I can look forward to now is wearing my authentic accessories at home and wait to be asked, "Where did you get that?" And say, casually, " Oh I bought it in Florence."

No comments:

Post a Comment